Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tralee and towards the Dingle Pennisula

This being our last exploring day we decide to head towards Tralee as we wanted to see more water and walk on a beach. As well as not being too far from Adare. I was also itching for a good bit of fresh seafood. It was very foggy and we delayed our start a bit to hope for the fog to clear. We've had the experience of rain, snow, fog and sunshine while on this trip. It's been lovely. So we made it to Tralee with out any difficulties but it was just past noon and we didn't see any place that caught our eye to eat. So we decided to head towards Castle Gregory. As we were heading out of Tralee we ran across this beautiful sight.

Buzz and Woody were very excited about this windmill. They thought I had a made a wrong turn and that we were in Holland. Or maybe back on the island of Mykonos. Sorry boys. We were in sunny Ireland.
Here's a photo of the Windmilll without B/W


We had a beautiful drive towards Castle Gregory and we were going to plan to drive to the Dingle Pennisula. The waiter we had last night said it was about 2 hours to drive around the Pennisula and it was absolutely lovely.

So off we went. Woody was ready to dance a jig on the dash of the car, he was so excited. He wanted to dip his boots in the Atlantic. I had to remind him that it was the same Atlantic as we have in New Jersey but some how he thought it was a bit more exotic. I had to agree.
So here are few photos from our drive:


So we made it to Castle Gregory and low and behold there was NO place to eat. It looks like a great spot come summer but most everything was closed, except for a market and so we each grabbed something to eat at the market and decided to head towards the Dingle Pennisula. Alas the pass to the pennisula was closed, I'm assuming because of the snow. So we headed back towards Tralee but then I saw a sign for a beach and decided to do a bit of four wheeling and we parked and walked towards the beach. It was beautiful but don't take my word for it:





I have no idea what this is above, but it fascinates me as well as grosses me out at the same time.

After many shells gathered we walked back to the car

On our way back home we stopped to back off to take a few more photos of the valley. My camera lens was very dirty so I'm hoping that Laura, Tammy or Alaina have some better photos.

Then we went back into the land of fog and rain. 
We stopped at I think it was Newcastle but don't keep me to it as I can't remember what I had for lunch some days. 


We arrived back in Adare safe and sound. When we had dinner at "our" pub the owner asked us where we had traveled to today and we told him. He asked if we went out to the Pennisula and we told him it 
the pass was closed. His reply was "Oh now that's too bad since you was only about 25 minutes from the other road at Castle Gregory." DUHHH Jennifer. It's a Pennisula, more than one way to get there. Well it will be something to check out next time we visit Ireland. It was a lovely day.  Tomorrow we fly home via Shannon Airport to JFK, for Alaina, Tammy and Laura they fly on to Seattle, I will take the train from Penn Station and head back to Hershey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment