Friday, January 29, 2010

Where's Grand Turk?

We woke up and were ready to visit another favorite place in the Caribbean, Grand Turk and to have a day pass at a nice little B & B that's owned by two Australian sisters, Katrina and Sandy, The Grand Turk Inn. Check it out online. It's one of Jimmy Buffet's favorite places to stay in the islands. Buzz and Woody were excited too, mainly  about the prospects of laying in the little hammock that was made to fit them.
    re-enactment photo ( taken in 2007)

 The last time we were here was in 07 I think in the previous blog of Tortola I had written 06 but that would be incorrect sir.



So, any way we looked outside the port hole and saw the island of Grand Turk not too far off and then we noticed . . .  duh duh duh dunnn  . . . we weren't getting any closer but actually we were, GASP,  going away from Grand Turk.
                                                                    
 "Ding Ding Ding" over the loud speaker the Captain explained the seas were too rough and that he had been trying for more than hour to make the approach to the dock but alas, it was not to be. Yes King Trident and the mer-people decided that they wanted to cause a bit of havoc and so the ship was not able to dock.  This did not sit well with our two cabin mates. Their dream of laying in the hammock would not materialize this day.

 
Yes, Buzz and Woody had a bit of a melt down . They were telling me how I had let them down, and that it was my fault . . . and that I didn't understand them . . .  and that they didn't like me  . . . and that I snored !! Well you get the picture. Any way instead of frolicking in the waves and enjoying Katrina's nice lunch we had to stay on a boat, in the middle of shark infested seas.  Okay so we didn't actually see any sharks but is was a big boat, and boy we had to read  . . .  by the pool  . . .and then we had to eat and then we had to eat some more and read some more and OH MY GOSH, it was just plain torture. But somehow, we survived. I know it was a horrible way to spend a day. Lounging by a pool. Sunny skies overhead, dipping in the heated salt-water pool. Sipping exotic drinks and having grapes fed to you. (okay well maybe no one actually fed me the grapes) Needless to say, we made the best of a most difficult situation. I know we were sooooo brave.
As we had two days to make it to Miami instead of one, the ship slowed it's speed down  so that made the seas not seem quite so rough. As we were traveling back towards Miami we passed Cuba and let me say it's big!! I never realized how long of an island Cuba is, sorry no photos of Cuba.
 
Back in Miami
So now the time has come to say good bye to our ocean voyage in the Eastern Caribbean.
Stay tuned as in a few weeks Buzz and Woody and I will be joining two of my sisters and a niece to the Emerald Isle.  My one sister has commented that she's enjoyed looking at the photos on this blog. We'll see how much she enjoys it when I'm taking snaps constantly and asking her to hold Buzz and Woody's hands. 
: ) Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment