Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Virgin Gorda

We tendered to Virgin Gorda, the Caribbean is still tossing us about but it's beautiful. We traveled to the our destination on the island via a cab and ventured down the trail to the ever famous Baths. I was looking forward to some solitude and quiet, hearing the gentle surf kiss the shore. ( cue birds singing etc)  I have a feeling I wasn't the only one with that idealistic dream as I think every passenger on every cruise ship in the Eastern Caribbean had disembarked and came to the Baths. Let's just say the shoreline was littered with bodies of every shape and size and lot's of east coast accents were in the air. I was waiting to hear someone call out " Yo, Vinnie howbouta slice?"




After a bit of refreshment, in the form of a Pina Colada, we walked about 20 minutes down the road to Spring Bay Beach. I was hoping that I  wasn't hallucinating, as we heard Calypso music and on the breeze was the smell of some awesome BBQ. (Why is it food always smells so amazing when it's cooked over a fire?) We knew this was the place as there were only about a dozen people on the beach. We chatted with a lovely woman who has a vacation home on the island but is originally from Bryn Mawr, PA. She told us she comes this time each week to listen to the music which is supplied by Little Dix Resort.  As Peter explored the rest of the beach area I decided that Buzz, Woody and I would lay out our towel catch some PTRs ( Prime Tanning Rays) and enjoy the novel I brought.
After a number of chapters read, Peter reappeared and we trekked back to the Baths and grabbed an open air taxi to Little Dix resort. We walked about the compound. Did a bit of shopping and then headed back to the docks and boarded one of the last tenders to our ship. Peter and I were both amazed on the amount of young people( as in younger than us)were on the tender. We hadn't seen more than 20 folks our age or younger on the cruise. ( that was including two kids under the age of six)We were wondering where they had been hiding and then realized they were part of the crew. : ) We made our way back on board  and with time to spare, highly unusual for us.   We await the adventure  that tomorrow brings, of driving on the left hand side of the road of Antigua. Peter driving and I'm his navigator . Which I've told him, I'm not a great navigator I'm a better pilot. : } To be con't

No comments:

Post a Comment