Thursday, February 25, 2010

What's it like to kiss the Blarney Stone?

 
Blarney Castle
As I write this, I am back in the States and guess what's going on outside . . . yes it's snowing, again. I really think they should've held the Olympics somewhere on the East Coast but let's think of something pleasant like the trek to Blarney Castle and Middleton Ireland, home of Jameson distillery.
We made our way to Blarney Castle after a quick breakfast of scones and tea. 
News Flash on the radio, Willie O'Dea, ministry of defense for Ireland, was caught making false allegations against someone in the rival party. What you say a politician was lying? What a shock. Well we heard all about his horrible lie and by the end of the trip he stepped down from his office. I have to say I found this amazing that he was pressured to step down because he lied about another member of the opposite party. Anyway, we traveled through many little roads  and made our way to Blarney Castle. Alaina was determined to kiss the Blarney Stone. She wanted to have that gift of gab. Her aunts and mother not so much. But we tagged along for the journey. 

So we ventured up the path. It was a crisp day. Sunny and beautiful.
I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

 
Laura, Tammy and Alaina heading to the Castle

 
  
  
  
  
If you can see the iron bars that's where you hang upside down to kiss the stone.

 
inside the castle

 
  
  
Buzz and Woody watching Alaina kiss the Blarney Stone.
If you're wondering if anyone else besides Alaina decided to kiss the Blarney Stone, well her Mom and I did kiss the Blarney Stone, there were pictures taken and for only 15 euros you can buy the photo. They don't allow you to take your own photo. Let me tell you hanging upside down I felt like a tressed pig and looked like one too. Rosy cheeked and being held by my ankles over the side of the castle wall it was an experience and I'm pretty sure I screamed like a little girl. I tried to figure out how I could have buzz and woody kiss the stone but I had to use both hands to hold onto the iron rails so that I wouldn't fall to my death. Didn't think Peter would appreciate my untimely demise. So they just looked on. I will say this if you choose to kiss the Blarney Stone, whatever you do DO NOT LICK YOUR LIPS AFTERWARDS!!! Terribly tasting and I'm not sure what it tasted like but it was  not pleasant. 

 
looking down from the top of the castle

 
more photos later of Blarney Castle grounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment